Some people falsely avoid eating foods that are rich in carbohydrates, believing that carbohydrates are one of the primary components of weight gain. While it is true that too much amount of carbohydrates may cause unwanted pounds in our body, carb-rich foods should not be avoided altogether.
To enlighten us with the positive benefits of eating carb-rich foods, here are three of the many reasons why carbohydrates are needed by our body:
- Carbohydrates can help prevent weight gain. This may sound opposite to the belief of some people that carbs promotes weight gain, but it is actually how it is. Carbohydrates contain dietary fiber which is good for weight loss. According to a study from Brigham Young University in Utah, middle-aged women who increased their fiber intake for nearly two years generally lost weight while those who decreased their fiber intake gained weight. Therefore, not only do carbohydrates prevent weight gain, they also help in trimming your waistline.
Also, carbs are of great benefit to those who are fond of practicing fitness exercise. According to a study from the Journal of Nutrition, eating a breakfast made with “slow-release” carbohydrates three hours before exercise can help burn more fat. It is because these types of carbohydrates found in oatmeal or bran cereal do not increase blood sugar as high as refined carbohydrates found in white toast, which consequently maintain the insulin levels to a minimum.
- Carbohydrates can boost your mood and keep memory sharp. In a study from the Archives of Internal Medicine, people who have low carbohydrate intake are more depressed and anxious. This implies that people who take sufficient amount of carbohydrates tend to have better mood. On the other hand, in a study conducted by Tufts University, overweight women who practiced a low-carbohydrate diet in a week tend to have poor memory than those who practiced a low-calorie diet based on American Dietetic Association guidelines.
- Carbohydrates are heart-friendly. People who eat more whole grains tend to have lower LDL (bad cholesterol) and higher HDL (good cholesterol). Also, research suggests that carb-rich foods that contains soluble-fibre such as oats and beans can reduce bad cholesterol level by up to 5 percent.
Some foods that are rich sources of carbohydrates include: potatoes, cassavas, legumes, green vegetables, pasta, cereals, bread, apple, watermelon, beans, bananas, berries, dry fruits, citrus fruits, and whole grains. These foods are also rich in fibre, vitamins and minerals that are indispensable for your health. A 5-10 gram intake of carb-rich foods every day would be enough to keep your heart away from bad cholesterol.
As long as we have a wise choice of food intake, carb-rich foods can be a great help for our health.
You May Also Like
- The Best Facials In Singapore with Positive Healing Energy
- The Best Facials In Singapore for Sensitive Skin
- The Best Facials in Singapore
- Skin Care Tips For Post-Laser Treatment
- Blemish-Free Skin Is Just A Spa Away
- Food Tips 101: Anti-Ageing Diet
- Interesting Activities To Stay Positive
- Have A Good Hair Day, Everyday!
- Aromatherapy Tips: 5 Essential Oils Must-Haves
- Hand Care Tips To Live By
- Homemade Makeup Remover, Made Easy
- Breakfast Energizers To Keep Your Skin Radiant
- Skin Superfoods
- Hatha Yoga for Better Posture
- How Eggs Can Help You Get Healthier Hair
- Walk Your Way To Better Health
- Boost Your Confidence With These Oral Hygiene Tips
- Coconut Oil: Alternative Diet For Weight Loss
- How To Make Your Lunch Break More Relaxing and Productive
- Benefits of Antioxidants in the Body
- Quick Fix To Avoid Dry Skin
- Organic Make-Up, Why Is It Beneficial?
- Five Things You Should Not Do To Your Skin
- 6 Health and Fitness Myths You Should Stop Believing
- How to Have Beautiful Skin When You Live in Tropical Countries
- 7 Health Habits You Should Adopt Now
- 5 Reasons Why Juice Cleansing Is Good For Your Body
- Common Misconceptions About Carbohydrates
- A Day in the Life of Your Skin
- How To Keep Your Teeth Stain-free
- The Healing Powers Of Meditation
- Guilt-Free Recipes
- Art Therapy, How It Helps You
- Home Remedies For Tired-Look Face
- A Generous Heart Brings Out The Best In You
- Health Benefits of Drinking Tea
- Tricks to Have a Better Sleep
- Daily Routines For Healthy Glowing Skin
- Easy Exercises To Stay in Shape
- DIY Mason Jar Salads, A Stylish Way To Healthy Skin
- Celebrate Chinese New Year, Guilt-Free and Fat-Free
- Prep Your Skin For A Romantic Dinner
- Beauty Trends To Watch This Year
- Wellness Trends To Help You Be At Your Best
- Holistic Beauty For 2015