Hormones and skin health by Best Facials Singapore
Hormones are part of the endocrine system, an intrinsic body function which can be affected by our lifestyle and eating habits.
Hormones play a vital part in the way our skin looks and feels. When our hormones are balanced, our skin clears out with no break out and our hair shines. On the contrary, when the hormones changes during our puberty or menopause, our skin becomes more prone to pimples, pigmentation and even finelines.
Most of us think of our male and female hormones ie. testosterone, oestrogen and progesterones when we hear the the word of hormones, but there are other hormones like thyroid which we need to watch out for.
Oestrogen: The female hormone which makes women skin dewy, hydrated, plumped up and youthful. The skin ages as oestrogen drops.
Testosterone: The male hormone which causes oilier, thicker skin and stimulates collagen. Often also cause break out.
What we observe:
During a women’s pre-menopausal and menopause years, they often face skin concerns. Collagen production drops by around 30% after menopause. Skin becomes thinner and more transparent, especially in fairer skin. Blood vessels are also more sluggish, reducing the body’s ability to deliver oxygen and nutrients to dermis layer. This causes skin to appear less radiant. Pigmented patches become more obvious especially around the cheeks and nose area. If bone density falls and fat pad hardens, the facial framework starts to shrink and causing skin to look less firm.
Aging is only natural. But, having the knowledge on how skin works and how hormones affect our skin, we can cultivate some good lifestyle and eating habits which can help greatly.
1) Keep active
Physically active women (with adequate sun protection) often look 10 – 15 years younger than their actual age. Why? The endorphin and dopamine hormones are like natural morphine. Keeping us happy with a healthy outlook in life. Good social standing and vibrancy in life. A combination of strength, cardio and flexibility workout are important.
2) Eat healthy fats
Essential fats high in omega-3 helps to keep your skin nourished from the inside to counterbalance the drop in oestrogen impacting hydration. This include flax seed, sesame seed, sunflower seed, pumpkin seed, almond, pine nuts, chia seeds and pistachios.
Stay away from bad fats from corn, peanut and sunflower oil which are often found in processed food.
3) Reduce alcohol and coffee
Alcohol causes stress on your liver and imbalances blood sugar levels.
Coffee tends to cause hormones to go imbalance. Always drink a large glass of water after alcohol or coffee to flush it from the body.
4) Trace elements
Ensure you have enough of iodine from seafood or seaweed, Vitamin D from cod liver oil and magnesium from bananas and broccoli which helps to support hundreds of processes in the body and contribute to better sleep.
5) Reduce sugar and empty carbs
Make the choice of eating fruits instead of the sweet desserts. Switch your morning coffee for a green tea. Change your pasta for brown rice or quinoa. After awhile, you tastebuds will prefer the natural taste from food than the overloaded-sugar food.
6) Meditate and breathe from your belly
This is one of the secret to beautiful skin and healthy body.
Breathing well throughout the day helps to send more oxygen to your body and benefits your complexion as much as a good workout. Try inhaling for 5 seconds and followed by exhaling for 5 seconds. Slowly inhale and exhale from the nose, feeling the breath start in the abdomen and up to the head. In the Ayurvedic practice, it passes through 7 chakra starting from your groin, navel, chest, throat, nose, between your brows and top of your head.
7) A good skincare routine
Hydrating serum and cream during the day (Super hydrating serum with emolient like hyaluronic acid or white truffle) and oil serum and cream (dry oil which does not congest skin) during the night are so so important.
Never forget to care for your frownlines, crows feet and neck area.
Monthly facial including occasional peel, BBL light treatment are good options to stimulate skin to regenerate.
8) Laugh heartily and eat with gusto!
70 : 30 rule. Eat healthy 70% of the time and 30% of the time indulge moderately in an occasional drink, coffee or even chocolate.
Hope you’ve enjoyed this series of blogs from Best Facial and Spa East Coast Singapore ~ Angels Dream Spa.
You May Also Like
- 5 beauty tips while working from home
- Fun ideas in the open air by Best Facials Singapore
- How to handle adult pimples at home by Best Facials Singapore
- How we kept well during SARS by Best Facials Singapore
- Can I do a good facial at home? by Best Facials Singapore
- Guinot Pigment Lightening Facial by Best Facial Singapore
- Best frownlines fix by Best Facial Singapore
- Best Anti-Sensitive Facial by Best Facial Singapore
- Maria Galland Anti-Acne Facial by Best Facial Singapore
- Guinot Anti-Acne Facial by Best Facial Singapore
- Babor Anti-Acne Facial by Best Facial Singapore
- 10 mins quick fix before landing by Best Facial Singapore
- Best Anti-Clogged Pores Facial by Best Facial Singapore
- 5 tips to keep skin hydrated in airplane by Best Facial Singapore
- What skincare to pack for holidays? by Best Facial Singapore
- Best Acne Facial by Best Facials Singapore
- Why and how to deal with Adult Acne by Best Facials Singapore
- Beauty sleep heals acne, blemishes, clogged pores
- Meditation good for acne/blemished/clogged pores
- Best care for acne-prone skin by Best Facials Singpoare
- Reduce Stress Reverse Aging by Best Facials Singapore
- Skincare ingredients you need to know by Best Facials Singapore
- Best care for acne skin by Best Facials Singapore
- Sugar is harmful to the skin by Best Facials Singapore
- Healthy liver, healthy skin by Best Facials Singapore
- Hormones and Skin health by Best Facials Singapore
- Best facial and skincare for teens by Best Facials Singapore
- Best facial for sensitive skin by Best Facials Singapore
- Best facial for dehydrated skin by Best Facials Singapore
- Best facial for acne by Best Facials Singapore
- Best Facials Singapore with Maria Galland
- Total Indulgence with Maria Galland Facial Oil by Best Facials Singapore
- An avocado a day keeps the aesthetic doctor away by Best Facials Singapore
- Do you find the apple beautiful? by Best Facials Singapore
- Guinot Pure Balance Cream is 1 Cream every teenager need by Best Facials Singapore
- Facial Treatment Near Me for Sensitive Skin by Best Facials Singapore
- Why we love Maria Galland No. 5 Cream by Best Facials Singapore
- Why is my face always not balanced? by Best Facials Singapore
- Facial oil helps prevent pigmentation by Best Facials Singapore
- ‘What every young person should know’ by Best Facials Singapore
- Why spend on facials if you can have quick fix with laser, botox or filler?
- Babor Enzyme Cleanser solves pimples by Best Facials Singapore
- How does happiness affect aging? by Best Facials Singapore
- Guinot Sensitive Skincare by Best Facials Singapore
- Reasons and Solutions to Pigmentation by Best Facials Singapore
- Guinot Aromatic Facial by Best Facials Singapore
- Guinot Facial to Reduce Tan by Best Facials Singapore
- 2 Guinot Facials for Lifting by Best Facials Singapore
- Guinot Facials for Lifting by Best Facials Singapore
- Guinot Facials for Dehydrated Skin by Best Facials Singapore